As you already know , earlier today Dev Team has updated the utility to version 0.9.9b5 redsn0w and it was added to the most important feature of the program PwnageTool that is the ability to create custom firmware without updating the modem. Unfortunately, the jailbreak is a tethered one ( does not workon iPhone 3GS with old bootrom) , which means the need to connect device to the computer after every reboot, and a series of actions are to be performed for its “restart”.
So, as we said, a new option “ Custom IPSW ”tab in the” Extras ”can now create a custom firmware without an increase in modem versions of iOS 4.3.3 and 5.0 ( so far only for the iPhone 3GS and iPhone 4 ).
How to create custom firmware iOS 5 without updating the modem:
2. Open Redsnow 0.9.9b5 and click on the button Extras .
3. Click on the button Custom IPSW and set the downloaded earlier firmware iOS 5.
4. We wait until the program will create custom firmware. It’s simple, right?
5. Firmware without updating the modem is ready and is at the specified address in the box.
How to use custom iOS 5 firmware:
Note: Owners of iPhone, using ultrasn0w or until GEVEY sim should refrain from even installing custom firmware, as the Dev-Team is still working on compatibility with iOS 5 unlock. Presumably the new version may come today . Updated ultrasn0w will work all the same modem 01.59.00, 04.26.08, 05.11.07, 05.12.01, 05.13.04 and 06.15.00 .
2. Launch iTunes, press Shift (Windows) / Alt (Mac OS) + Restore, select the custom firmware and click OK ( Be careful not to accidentally select a file with the official firmware instead of custom! name begins with the custom firmware NO: “BB“) .
3. During the installation of custom firmware, your device will reboot several times. In no case shall not interrupt the process!
4. Wait until the installation is complete.
5. In iTunes, it is recommended to set up your device “As new”.
7. If you have a carrier locked iPhone, then after installing custom firmware do unlock with UltraSnOw 1.2.4 or Gevey Sim.
If you have any problems or want to share something do let us know in the comments section below.