When you buy an iPhone the biggest terror in your mind is of either breaking it or loosing it. You should be prepared for that, I mean not for loosing it but for finding where your iPhone is when you have lost it. The most important part of it is that you should install Find iPhone app. and log into it with your apple ID and password this activates the app in your mobile.
You can find the app easily in the app store of your device or in the itune store of iTunes in your PC. Now, If you loose your iPhone, use the same account to enable Find My iPhone on your other apple device which may be iPhone 3G, 3GS, or iPod touch (2nd generation or later).
If you lose your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch while on the go, simply install the Find My iPhone app on another iOS device, launch it, and sign in with your Apple ID (Find My iPhone must already be configured on the missing device).
You’ll see your device’s location on a map and you can choose to have it display a message or play a sound, remotely lock the device, or wipe it to permanently delete all of your data if you think that it won’t be returned. For added security, the app will automatically sign you out after 15 minutes, or you can manually sign out at any time.
- Locate your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch on a map.
- Display a message and optionally play a sound for two minutes at full volume (even if your device is set to silent).
- Remotely set a passcode lock on your device, or lock it using your existing passcode.
- Remotely wipe your device to permanently erase all of your personal data.
Please note that you must first set up and turn on Find My iPhone on each device you want to locate. The main task ahead of you is to set up find My iPhone on your device. Here is what you have to do:
1. Make sure your iPhone is running iOS 4.2 or later. If you’re creating a free account for the first time, you need an iPhone 4.
2. Tap the Settings icon and choose Mail, Contacts, Calendars.
3. Tap the Add Account button and select Mobile.
4. Enter your Apple ID and password. If you have an iTunes Store account or have ordered from the Apple Online Store, you already have an Apple ID. If you don’t have an Apple ID, tap Create Free Apple ID and follow the onscreen instructions. If you’re already a Mobile Me subscriber, enter your me.com or mac.com email address and password.
5. Verify your account. If your Mobile Me account says “Not Verified,” check your email inbox for a message from Apple.
Click Verify. Now and sign in with your Apple ID.If you don’t see a verification email in your inbox, select your Mobile Me account and tap Resend Verification Email.
6. Return to the MobileMe screen and switch on Find My iPhone. When the Find My iPhone message appears, tap Allow.
Give it a TRY. Its a helpful tool helps you to track your iPhone.