Yesterday Apple finally released the public version of iOS 5 which has over 200 new features. But many of us, who are using jailbroken iDevice need to give a second thought before we update and how to update?
Well let me help you with that.
The Untethered Jailbreak of iOS 5 is not available yet so those of you who wish to keep the jailbreak need to wait till Dev Team comes up with it and the same is the case of the people who need to carrier unlock.
But some of you might want to update your iDevice to the latest version but might be thinking how to update it, when you have a jailbroken device and Apple rejects jailbroken device for an update.
Here is what you should do:
1. Open the latest version of iTunes that is version 10.5 and connect your device to it, let’s take it to be an iPhone 4.
2. When you connect your iPhone, a pop up appears telling that a new iOS 5 update is available for your device.
3. Click on download only. By the time the firmware gets downloaded create a latest backup of your iDevice via iTunes.
Once the Firmware is downloaded, click on update on iTunes. Alternately if you have any problems in downloading the update directly from iTunes you can download the firmware from direct links.
4. Now when you click on update and you have a jailbroken iPhone iTunes might come up with Error 3002 or 3004.If you downloaded the firmware from direct links you need to press SHIFT + Update on iTunes, on which iTunes asks to locate the downloaded firmware on your PC. After verifying the firmware iTunes will update your iPhone automatically.
Retry, if that does not work then
While pressing Shift, Click on RESTORE option, on which iTunes asks to locate the downloaded firmware on your PC. After verifying the firmware iTunes will update your iPhone automatically after restoring it to factory settings.
After a couple of minutes you will have an iPhone running on the new iOS 5.0.
How to set up your iPhone on iOS 5.
Once your iDevice is successfully updated to iOS 5, it will ask you to set up the basic settings for iPhone.
- First of all it will ask you to enter the PIN for your Sim Card and then the general setup for your iPhone.
- Once it has been activated your iPhone, it will ask whether you want to set it us a new iPhone or restore from a backup, for restoring you can use the backup you created earlier.
- After you have completely fulfilled all the requirements, you will be able to use your iDevice.
At any time during the process you can press the Home Button to change any settings for Wi-Fi or start all over again.
You can now sync with iTunes or restore from the backup you created before updating.
Enjoy iOS 5 on your iDevice and do tell us about your experience updating your device. If you need any help do let us know in the comment section below.
- Select the language for your device